Medical Oncology has evolved over time with comprehensive cancer care . Today’s cancer treatment encompasses multi-disciplinary treatment approach to all types of cancer- be it solid tumors or blood cancer.
Medical Oncology is concerned with :
- Cancer Screening: Breast cancer, Colon cancer, Cervical cancer, Prostate cancer
- The diagnosis of any cancer
- Therapy (e.g. Chemotherapy, Hormonal therapy, Immunotherapy and Monoclonal antibodies)
- Follow-up of cancer patients after successful treatment
- Palliative care of patients with terminal malignancies
- Pain management
- The aim of cancer treatment is to relieve symptoms, cure the patient, and prolong or save life. When cancer is detected early, treatment is very effective and patients are usually cured.
- In patients with advanced stage cancer, complete cure may not be possible, and its treatment aims to control the disease, improve quality of life, and keeping the patient normal and comfortable as long as possible. The treatment of each patient is designed to suit the individual and depends on many factors like age of the patient, general condition, type of cancer and stage of disease.
- Surgery and radiotherapy can eradicate the disease from the primary site (site of origin) of cancer. Chemotherapy, hormonal therapy and immunotherapy are useful for disease which may have spread outside the site of origin of cancer.